Back-to-school does not have to mean back-to-worrying. Though safety inside school is ultimately the responsibility of the security professionals, principal and school staff, parents can take a few basic steps make sure their kids are safe. Here are a few guidelines.
- Learn the protocol. Important phone numbers, and all sort of other information relevant to emergencies are often printed in school handbooks and posted in classrooms. Familiarize yourself and your child, so that he/she has the necessary information in case they need to make quick decisions. Children should be aware of all emergency exits in the building.
- Follow the rules. If the security guards require signing in when visiting the school, be sure to oblige as it is only for the benefit of your child. The same holds true for schools that require visitors to be escorted when walking through the building, or wearing a visitor pass. Parents who respect their children’s school raise children who respect their environment as well.
- Communicate. From food allergies to disabilities, it is in your best interest to make sure that the schools knows everything they need to know about your child. If your son or daughter has been subject to bullying, or exposed to other difficult behaviors the teacher or principal should keep an eye on them to ensure safety. Make sure all relevant people are informed.
- The alternate path. Fire trucks, ambulances or other emergency vehicles can obstruct roads and change traffic patterns. Children who walk or bike to school should be familiar with more than one path home.
- Talk with your child. Children do not necessary understand vague sweeping statements so make sure to be specific. They should know to take their feelings seriously and recognize if a situation does not seem normal or is fearful. Give the children tool by explaining what to do in a tense situation, for example find a teacher, call 911. Make sure he/she knows how to contact you or a trusted neighbor who is likely to be at home.
- Get involved. Talk with the principal about providing proper security at all times. All schools should have trained professionals making sure that our most valuable resources, our children, are safe at all times.
As an approved provider for the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) ISSM Protectie Services hires only the best guards. We take the safety of school children to heart.